Jan Erik Vold
answers to Bonifacio
- Do you have something against the ocean?
- What parts of the planet Earth do you think poetry trees could be planted on? There are no such things as poetry trees.
- Is solitude the beginning or end of everything in existence?
Solitude applies only for human beings. Please leave the rest of existence out of this.
- Which would you prefer: to be a good writer, but utterly miserable, or a happy, mediocre writer?
- Is madness the basic ingredient of true genius?
Wittgenstein was not mad.
- Sincerely, what do you think of the people around you who aren’t writers or involved in any artistic activities whatsoever?
- Were you telling the truth when you lied, or did you mean what you said when you lied?
When did I lie?
- Who or what is it that you can’t stand?
- What is your biggest phobia or fear; your biggest pleasure or passion?
The clima collaps. A blackbird singing.
- If someone told you they didn´t really like your literary works, regardless of the genre they were referring to, even if lots of people say they love it; how would you feel and what would you say?
I hope I would ignore it.
- Do you have any opinions regarding politicians or politics in your country?
Yes, of course.
- Why haven´t you read all the books sitting at your house? Do you periodically prune your collection down?
Lack of time. All books are not to be read. Yes, I hope to get rid of some of them.
- Do you think you´ve written the book you wanted to write?
I never wanted to write a specific book. Those I have written so far are OK.
- Given the above, why continue writing if you already said what you had to say the way you wanted to say it?
Why keep using words? Words never end, so also with books to be written.
- Nightstand books? Coffee table? Jitney van/Bus reading? Subway? Books to read on the toilet?
Poetry books, any old way you choose it.
- What would happen if there was no such thing as oysters or Malbec grapes?
To me, nothing specific would happen.
- If you were not a human being, what tangible or abstract thing/concept would you be?
- Have you ever loved or hated more than you should have?
I don’t think so.
- Do you think the world would be a different place if there was no such thing as poetry?
Yes. To me, at least.
- Which do you prefer: the poet, or his/her poetry?
They go together.
- Do artists, as they want to believe, suffer and enjoy more intensely than other mortals?
- Any issues with suicide?
To commit suicide is to overestimate the importance of your own situation.
- How much of the image you think you project to others do you think is true about yourself?
I don’t think in those terms. Can’t answer.
- What has been your most persistent déjà vu experience?
Nothing I can think of.
- If you found out the world were to end at midnight tonight, what exactly would you do?
How could I find out about the end? Maybe I would take a walk on the beach.