- Do you have something against the ocean?
Yes, it is always too far away (even from the beach).
- What parts of the planet Earth do you think poetry trees could be planted on? Poetry trees are doomed, let's not plant them.
- Is solitude the beginning or end of everything in existence?
Solitude IS the beginning AND the end of everything in existence.
- Which would you prefer: to be a good writer, but utterly miserable, or a happy, mediocre writer? A very good one, alas!
- Is madness the basic ingredient of true genius?
No. Genius is the basic ingredient of true madness.
- Sincerely, what do you think of the people around you who aren’t writers or involved in any artistic activities whatsoever?
I call them a public.
- Were you telling the truth when you lied, or did you mean what you said when you lied?
I never mean what I say because it is always a poor expression of what I mean. So please be indulgent.
- Who or what is it that you can’t stand?
- What is your biggest phobia or fear; your biggest pleasure or passion?
Being alone for both questions.
- If someone told you they didn’t really like your literary works, regardless of the genre they were referring to, even if lots of people say they love it; how would you feel and what would you say?
I don't write for people. They are free to think what they want. I like what I want to read and can't find.
- Do you have any opinions regarding politicians or politics in your country?
- Why haven´t you read all the books sitting at your house? Do you periodically prune your collection down?
Always add new books. Never threw one away. I don't want to read them (although I do sometimes), I prefer to own them, old them, cherish them, keep them close to me. I am always on the verge of nervous breakdown when I finish a book (either writing it or reading it).
- Do you think you´ve written the book you wanted to write?
No. Not yet. But it is coming. I can feel it. Hope not until I am finished.
- Given the above, why continue writing if you already said what you had to say the way you wanted to say it? Why keep using words?
Words are the keys to the Universe. But the Universe keeps changing the locks.
- Nightstand books? Coffee table? Jitney van/Bus reading? Subway? Books to read on the toilet?
Now, Antonio Bioy Casares. Mario Vargas Llosa is next.
- What would happen if there was no such thing as oysters or Malbec grapes? Nothing, and I mean nothing. Absolutely nothing would happen.
- If you were not a human being, what tangible or abstract thing/concept would you be?
I am not a human being.
- Have you ever loved or hated more than you should have?
- Do you think the world would be a different place if there was no such thing as poetry?
No, just a more boring place.
- Which do you prefer: the poet, or his/her poetry?
Poetry. Some poets are troublesome... but still some poetry are lousy. It is easier to shut a book down...
- Do artists, as they want to believe, suffer and enjoy more intensely than other mortals?
They don't want to, they do.
- Any issues with suicide?
I will think about it if there is any more questions coming.
- How much of the image you think you project to others do you think is true about yourself?
Zero. « I am someone else » said Rimbaud. I always thought he meant me.
- What has been your most persistent déjà vu experience?
Being alive. And aging!
- If you found out the world were to end at midnight tonight, what exactly would you do?
Go to bed early.